Do you remember the time when you and your partner boiled down the reasons for why and what kind of car will you two be purchasing? I remember when we decided to get the car we need, the budget was the main reason for it. Since we were just two at that time the convenience of getting the exact car model that fitted our budget became the main reason. But when we got kids, and extra space in the car starting to concern us, we traded our old car to a new one. And, that move was the best decision we made!
Every time we travel with the kids, we spend the whole day preparing their things and stuff to be loaded into the car.
These consists of; a bag of diapers, extra clothes, food, toys, and again bags of clothes. Although we tend to pack light, you can never pack light when you have kids. I guess this concern will eventually become a little concern when they can manage themselves to pack their own things for travel.
Since we enjoy the concept of traveling because it gives the kids the sense of adventure and time to bond with each other in a compact space, kids need to get occupied while on the road. And, food is one of the best distraction for them. I know parents like me will agree on this. Food can be a mess when traveling. During the course and the experience we had traveling with kids, we somehow learned how to manage a messy car. The most common item that can cause this is food, spills of liquid food and drinks, crumbs, fruit peels, strong scent of a certain food and sometimes, soaked diapers and soiled clothing.
A messy car can cause a lot of stress for both the parents and the kids. Here are some tips you can do to prevent a messy car:
- always bring ziplock bags where you can dump food litters and trash, seal it every time to prevent leaking and also those unwanted smell.
- plan food to bring for the whole duration of the trip, use coolers to preserve food.
- separate each bags for each kid, this will prevent food pieces to drop on the floor.
- recycle old sheets to use and cover on top of the car seat.
- use cups with lids, make sure they are secure and with non-spillage.
- empty trash from time to time during the course of the trip.
- do not overpack with food that might spoil.
- teaching is the best discipline. :)
There's no reason for the family not to enjoy a good family trip, it can be messy but it's all worthwhile.
So, start packing things and hit the road...create memories for you and your family to treasure.